Friday, April 1, 2011

a "hand-me-down" life

I am the oldest of three girls. Growing up, I never had to wear hand-me-downs. I don't know if my parents taught me this directly, or whether I just perceived this for myself, but as a child and as a young person, I always looked down on 'hand-me-downs.' The idea just had a negative connotation to me for some reason. Something brand new was much more exciting, so much better than something 'used.'

Oh how my life has changed! I now have a life full of hand-me-downs. Our home is full of hand-me-downs. Our family wears a lot of hand-me-down clothes, Dawson and myself included. Both of our vehicles, the Green monster (mini-van) and Red Hot Fire Fred (D's truck) are hand-me-downs. Our dining room table is a hand-me-down.....so is our washer and our dryer, and the list goes on. So much of what we now have was given to us by someone else, who no longer had use for whatever it is. Some might say this is a little sad....maybe even a little shameful.

But God is teaching me a lot about my little hand-me-down life.

First, He gently reminds me that absolutely everything I am and everything I have is a hand-me-down. From Him.

And these other hand-me-downs......these gifts from others, are just that. Gifts. Gifts of generosity from friends and family members, who are literally and physically extending God's love to us by providing for a need, or making an offer of help.

I just recently realized that I am so much more appreciative and grateful for the things we have that are hand-me-downs. More so than I am for the things that we have bought for ourselves in times of prosperity.

For instance, in my life, I have only owned one brand new vehicle. It was a beautiful, powerful, black, 4-door Dodge truck. I bought it shortly after I started teaching. It was pretty much my dream vehicle. I loved, loved that truck. When we had to sell it, because gas prices got so high, and I got pregnant with Ellie, I literally cried as we drove away from it. Pathetic, I know. But as much as i loved that truck, I didn't really appreciate it.

I now drive a 10+ years old Chevy mini-van. It is certainly not a junker, but it has seen better days. Even still, this mini-van was a gift to us, from some of our precious family. And almost every time I get it in it, my heart fills with gladness. I pray and thank God for this van ALL the time! I pray for the family members that gave it to us, I thank God for giving it to us, I praise God for the important function it has in our family.....my cup literally overflows with gratitude and appreciation for this vehicle. And this is true, mainly due to the fact, that it is a hand-me-down. And the same is true for my dryer, that my friend Sam gave me...etc., etc.

What God is revealing to me, is that every breath I take......every healthy moment my children enjoy.....every new morning I wake-up.....is a hand-me-down. His to give, mine only to receive.

Humility. Gratitude. Appreciation.

There can be no other appropriate response to a hand-me-down.

God, you are so good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment