Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Night Before Kindergarten & 3rd

One of the most incredible privileges you can have as parent, is to watch God work through your children.  It is especially sweet to see God's spirit moving in your child, in order to pour out love on one of your other children. 

Tonight, Ellie had her inaugural prayer circle for school.  We started this ritual for Caleb, when he started Kindergarten.  The night before school begins, we make time to pray for and read scripture over the new student.  Dawson and I pick out verses and promises that we want to pray for our kiddo.  Then, the special child creates a circle around themselves (using fun, beloved items) and we sit around them to read and over them.   and Ellie was absolutely ecstatic that she would have her own prayer circle this year.  It was so cool to see how meaningful this little tradition has become in our family. 

When we started this night-before-school custom, both Lisa and Tracy got to be a part of it.  Then, the next year, Uncle AJ even joined in!  So, our circle seems small when it is just the 5 of us.  Even though they can't physically be with us, it is the most incredible feeling to know that our extended family is lifting our kids up to our Lord in prayer. 

My favorite moment from the night was when Caleb prayed for Ellie.  It continues to bring tears to my eyes when I think about it.   It seemed like the Holy Spirit was speaking through Caleb's words.  This was the beginning of his prayer.....

"Father, I lift up Ellie to you and I ask that you rain down wisdom, grace and strength on her.  I ask that you make her fearless and brave, so she won't be scared.  And God, please give her good friends...." and he said some other really sweet stuff, but I couldn't remember the rest.  I LOVE my kids!

We are so blessed.  And I am trying to count my blessings, rather than mourn Ellie's entrance into "school age."  But I am sad that she is growing up.  And I can't believe my baby boy is starting 3rd grade!?!  The times has flown.

Here are some of our pictures from tonight....

 Ellie's first prayer circle...

 Very appropriately lined in Barbies.  Can you tell that she is proud?

 It was so awesome to hear Caleb read God's word over Ellie....and even Adelyn "read" from the Bible :)

Caleb is an awesome brother....when he wants to be :)

 We were both crying :/  Like mother, like daughter!

 Then we tried to 'shake it off' by making funny faces!

 Caleb Wayne's turn!  

 Proud Daddy!


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tradition!!! Did Caleb have a circle too or do you guys just do it for Kindergarten? And congrats on your position at KOR! We were almost going to attend there this year but decided we felt called to be more involved at Creek View. It was a tough discernment but I think I found my peace. I would LOVE to hear about what you are getting to teach - humanities is one of my favorite subjects!
    Blessings on your new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family tradition! I can't believe Caleb prayed those words - very mature for a 3rd grader.

    ReplyDelete