Sunday, December 7, 2008

Indescribable Joy


You know those moments when your cup overflows, and your joy just spills out through your tears. I was blessed to have another of those moments tonight. It was my turn to put our precious daughter to bed. We started out by reading two 'princess books' and then I prayed for her. After I was done, she asked, "My pray?" (I'm going to try to convey her sweet, two-year-old words through as much phonetic spelling as possible) So of course, I said sure. She starts out emphatically-"Un God" (her version of Dear God) and then closes her sweet eyes, bows her sweet head and then starts to whisper a long strain of inaudible, unintelligible words. As I listened to her, my heart swelled with joy--almost so much, it hurt. I knew that even though I couldn't understand a word she was saying, that God knew exactly what she was telling Him. There is nothing in this world more pure and beautiful than the prayer of a child. Eventually, she said "ahmin". And she looked at me with that, "aren't you proud of me, mama?" face. I tried to explain to her how happy it makes me when she prays. Of course, we wrapped up our bedtime with some good renditions of "Patty Cake" and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider"--or as Ellie calls them, "Pie Cake" and "Bug". :) Thank you God, for allowing me to be the mommy of my two unbelievably beautiful and precious children. I could never deserve them, or the joy they bring me.

1 comment:

  1. Your post brought tears to my eyes! She is so precious! So sweet....

    ReplyDelete