Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lukewarm

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth.....Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent." Revelation 3: 15-16, 19"

Have you ever been scared of a book?!? Well, I am. Terrified! The book that I'm reading right now is one of the most amazing, challenging, and inspiring books I've ever read....but I'm scared of it! It's "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Yes, I heard about it through another blog--my pretend friend, Angie, who writes "Bring the Rain." Her online bookclub is reading this book, and it is life-changing. And that's the scary part. Chan pretty much warns you that when you read his book, if you consider yourself to be a Christ-follower--you either have to conciously choose to ignore what he says and continue to live a lukewarm life, or you have to make some life-change. Again....SCARY! But I've been so convicted by his words, and really most it is God's words, straight from the Holy Bible--which makes it even worse!!

I just have to share some from this book. I love that in the second chapter, titled, "You might not finish this chapter," he writes "Frankly, you need to get over yourself." Harsh, huh? But so true! I spend so much for my time, energy and thoughts on me....my needs, my family, my agenda....and rarely am I focused on God's 'needs', God's family, God's agenda. As Chan says, "the point of your life is to point to Him." That's it! Nothing we haven't hard before, but it's truth that I needed to be reminded of over and over. Wow--so I have to question, are my daily activities and attitudes doing that--pointing to Him??

Also, (seriously there is soooo much amazing stuff in here....I could quote you the whole stinkin' book) he goes on to remind us that a life of extreme faith, of abandonment to God is something we will never feel "ready" for. But that is the whole point of faith, right? Amazingly, nothing he says is truly novel, but he says it in such a way that speaks so loudly to my heart and soul.

He has a chapter called the Profile of the Lukewarm
and I am going to end this entry/internal discussion with a few of the super powerful descriptions he uses to describe the Lukewarm. I was so convicted by these 'characteristics' because they seemed to speaking directly to me.

LUKEWARM PEOPLE give money to charity and to the church....as long as it doesn't impinge on their standard of living. Luke 21:1-4

LUKEWARM PEOPLE desire to fit in both at church and outside of church; they care more about what people think of their actions than what God thinks of their hearts.
Rev. 3:1, Matt. 23:5-7

LUKEWARM PEOPLE are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act. They assume such action if for 'extreme' Christians, not the average ones. James 1:22, 4:17

LUKEWARM PEOPLE say they love Jesus, and He is, indeed, a part of their lives. But only a part....He isn't allowed to control their lives. Luke 9:57-62

LUKEWARM PEOPLE are continually concerned with playing it safe; they are slaves to the god of control. This focus on safe living keeps them from sacrificing and risking for God! WOW 1 Tim. 6:17-18

LUKEWARM PEOPLE probably drink and swear less than the average, but besides that, they really aren't very different from your typical unbeliever. They equate their partially sanitized lives with holiness, but they couldn't be more wrong.
Matt 23:25-28

Wow. Wow. Wow. And there's so much more! I'm almost finished with this book, and I just pray that I will have the courage and steadfastness to really change the way I live, think and view my faith.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! I just started reading that book! and yes it is soo good, but a little intimidating. I just finished the second chapter. I will be praying for our hearts as we both go through this book and for us to clearly see what God wants us to get out of it. Keep me updated on how its going for you and ill try to do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. And, uh, let's be honest, yuck. I think I should be inspired to read this book. But I'm so chicken to take that kind of challenge. What if I really do uncover something life changing? That would be, well, really scary! What does it really look like to let go and live the life God calls us to live? Thanks for the kick in the pants. Really.

    ReplyDelete