Monday, August 15, 2011

To Heaven and Back

Don't we look so happy....


I have about 562 other things I should be doing right now....dirty dishes, piles of laundry, sweeping, mopping, cleaning my room, etc., which is EXACTLY why I am blogging instead. I am overwhelmed by the reality of my life right now, so I am going to linger in the recent memories of my glorious vacation instead! :)


Dawson and I got to spend three FABULOUS days in Estes Park, Colorado last week. We went as an early celebration of our 10 year anniversary that is coming up on August 25th. We went to Estes Park on our honeymoon, and enjoyed the town, and the beautiful surroundings. But this time, it was SO MUCH BETTER! I don't know if it is because we are older, and so much busier, so we could appreciate it so much more. Or, I don't know why? But it was the most incredible vacation from our real lives! The weather was PERFECT! Every day the High was 78 or 80 and the lows in the mornings and evenings were in the 50s! Heaven! And the mountains!!! I know that God created everything, the plains, the deserts, the oceans....even College Station, TX, but I have to say, that He must have used His brightest, most extraordinary efforts on the Rocky Mountains. They are just breath-taking!! Their majestic beauty moved me to tears more than once while we were there.


We stayed in a little cabin, originally built in 1895, named the "Bear Bottom cabin." It was perfect! It was recently renovated and redecorated, and it couldn't have been more cute and quaint! And it had an awesome HOT TUB!! So fun and relaxing!


We spent most of our two full days there in the Rocky Mountain National Park. We spent the majority of the first day doing a 2 mile hike up a mountain, to see three beautiful lakes. It was a challenging hike for me, but SO worth it! Other than my children's faces, I saw the most beautiful sights I have ever seen on that hike.

Our first lake, about 1/2 mile up...Nymph Lake. Had beautiful lily pads and yellow flowers floating on it...

All along the trail, we saw gorgeous rivers and streams....it felt like we were in a postcard

Our 2nd lake, and favorite lake, was appropriately named "Dream Lake." It was like a dream, feeling the cool breeze, looking into the clear, cold water and listening to the silence...

Another picturesque spot along the trail....and everything seemed even sweeter because I was there with my best friend

Our top lake, Emerald lake...it was awesome, and cold. Almost above the treeline, with snow around almost all sides...

The second full day, we took several shorter hikes and drove up the Fall River Road. This Fall River road is a one-way, dirt road that starts with a sign that says, "Sharp Switchbacks and Steep Drop-Offs, Beware!" So comforting, especially for an anxiety-prone freak, who is scared of heights!! There were definitely moments when I couldn't breath very well, and I was constantly gripping something...but the views were spectacular! And from the top--Wow!! We were constantly in awe of God's artwork.

Everything was just awesome! Every night we ate great food in Estes Park, and we walked around downtown. We just felt so footloose and responsibility-free!!

We ate and ate and ate...

and ate some more....

and we acted very mature the entire time!

I think I gained 10 pounds in 3 days!

not a great picture...but proof that we had a cool hot tub! :)

Ahh...if only it could've lasted a few more months..:) Honestly, I was ready to see my little hoodlums. As beautiful and wonderful as the mountains are, those sweet babies are still better!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a beautiful vacation! I'm glad you were able to get away and relax and celebrate.

    ReplyDelete