Monday, January 11, 2010

My Sweet Little Liar

Ellie is trying out lying. She's in the process of learning about it, trying it out, and seeing if it's something she wants to do. She lied to me two days ago when she was "helping" me do the dishes. I dried off her hands, and I told her not to put her hands back in the sink. Then I turn around, and guess what?! I asked her plainly, "Did you put your hand back in the sink again?" She looked right at me and said, "No" as she held up her hand covered in bubbles. I sent her to time out, gave her a few minutes to think it over, and then went into her room to talk to her. I gave her another chance to confess, and she immediately started crying. Finally, after much coaxing, she said, "Yes Mommy! I did." I told her that I was upset with her for disobeying me, but much more upset about her lying. (I'm pretty sure most of my moral teaching went in one ear and out the other!) Then I asked her, "Why did you lie to Mommy?" She looked up at me and through her tears, she said, "I just wanna be your best friend." Little Stinker!! She was, of course, immediately forgiven. :)

3 comments: