Monday, August 24, 2009

Kindergarten (Ode to Caleb Wayne Part 2)

It was a good day! Our morning was not the serene, dreamlike morning I had envisioned...with birds singing in the background and sunlight shining through the windows down onto Caleb's face. :) Instead, it was more characteristic of our crazy lives. We woke up later than planned, so we were rushing around after our pancake breakfast. Then there was crazy traffic around the school, and then the school itself was a MADHOUSE! If you haven't been a part of the First Day chaos at an elementary, it can be overwhelming. It felt like going to a themepark. Crowded, loud, and sweaty!

But I did good. All of the Fab Five went, and we got him settled into his room. Then he started coloring and was ready for us to leave. I tried to wait until I got into the hall before I cried...I almost made it. Then the girls and I went to meet some friends and family at Chic-Fil-A for a "Mourning breakfast." I cried a little more there, but it was so awesome to hang out with other sympathetic moms. It was perfect medicine for the first day of school blues.

Going to pick him up was like waking up on Christmas morning. Ellie and I were so excited to pick him up . She and I had made him a cake for a special, surprise after-school snack. And after 35 minutes in line!!....we got to get him back! :) He looked so happy. He said he had a great day, and that his favorite part was recess! He has several friends in the other Kindergarten classes at his school, and recess is when he gets to see them and play with them. He also said that his teacher was nice, he gets to help take care of the class fish this week, and then he sang a new song he learned about his school. So cute!

Thank you to all of you who prayed for us. God answered so many prayers today. He blessed my baby boy with a great first day of 'big kid school' and He blessed me with peace of mind, and a great day with my sweet girls.

Pictures from the day......


Sitting in his "prayer circle"--on Sunday evening my sisters, Dawson, Ellie and I all prayed over Caleb and read from God's words too


Special pancake breakfast for the Kindergartener (tomorrow will probably be cereal :)


Dressed up and ready to rock!


Walking into his school....and into a new phase in our lives!


Settled into his classroom


His special cake


AND my sweet, little, baby girl turned 6 MONTHS today! She's growing up too fast!!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that his day went so well. Such a fun time! l like his new haircut and and his outfit! So handsome!!

    I enjoyed our morning at Chick-Fil A. It was great to be around other moms that were experiencing the same feelings. Thank you for getting that together!

    I hope and pray they will all have a great second day and wonderful first week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for your day! Caleb looked so happy. What fun times to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help myself... I tear up even when reading other people's experience with that momentous first day of KG! Boo also was the fish-feeder on her first week of KG. So much fun!

    I can't believe our babies are getting so big so fast! Addie has passed Lu in both of those milestones, but I gotta confess I don't mind. Loves me some helpless little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love the prayer circle. That is such a cool thing! I can't believe how grown up Caleb looks. I'm so glad he had a great first day at kindergarten!! And, I know you will enjoy getting to spend more quality time with Ellie and Adelyn!

    ReplyDelete